T. F.  Šimon

Catalogue of Ex Libris (1910-1932)

 

Compiled and published by Václav Rytíř, Prague 1932.
Vacláv Rytíř (* 22.12.1889 Prague - + 29.6.1943 Prague) was a graphic artist, painter, publisher and editor.
He was a member of Spolek sběratelů a přátel exlibris (the Czech Association of Collectors and Friends of ex libris) and the American Society of Bookplate Collectors & Designers.  

Introduction to the book by Arthur Novák.
Revised and annotated by Catharine Bentinck, 2015.

Literature: BBB = B. Beneš Buchlovan. Moderní Česká Exlibris, 1926.
T.F. Šimon, Ex libris a Novoročenky ( = New Year's cards), Praha, 1918.
Novak = according to the Catalogue Raisonné of the Graphic Work
 by T.F. Šimon, compiled by Arthur Novák in 1937.

Click on the pictures to enlarge (if available).
 

Nr. Title Ex-Libris

1

T.F. Šimon
.
1910.

Sea (Mo
ře).

7,2 x 6,3 cm, colour etching, BBB 3709, Novak 539.

Tavík František Šimon (May 13, 1877, Železnice – December 19, 1942, Prague) was a painter and graphic artist. Born František Jan Šimon, he later adopted the additional name 'Tavik', which was his mother's maiden name, generally signing his work T.F. Šimon.




(image in black and white)
 
 
2 T.F.Š. 1911.

6 x 6 cm, etching, BBB 3708, Novak 540.
T. F. Šimon, Ex libris a Novoročenky, nr. 1, Praha, 1918.


 


 
 
3 E.H.B. (Edna Boies Hopkins). 1911.

Monogram E H B in a Biedermeier frame. 


8,6 x 7,5 cm, etching, BBB 3684, Novak 541.


Rytíř writes Boetie instead of Boies.


 
 
Edna Boies Hopkins
(1872–1937) is best known for her floral woodblock prints that range from delicate Japanese-inspired stylizations to boldly coloured and progressively modernist works. In her brief twenty-year career, Hopkins produced seventy-four known woodblock prints, including figurative work and landscapes as well as floral compositions. This catalogue raisonné is the first in-depth study of this once well-known American artist. It illustrates all of Hopkins’s known prints, related drawings, and studies.

Edna Bel Beachboard was born in the south Michigan town of Hudson on October 13, 1872, as a daughter of David J. Beachboard, a prominent Hudson citizen and vice president of the Boies State Savings Bank, and his wife Clotilda C. Sawyer. In 1887 her older brother Earl James died of diphtheria at the age of sixteen, making Edna an only child. On March 2, 1892, Edna married John Henri Boies, a banker eight years her senior and a member of Hudson’s most illustrious family.
 
 



 

 

The newlyweds soon moved to Chicago to further John’s career in finance, but after only two years of marriage he died of tuberculosis, leaving Edna a widow, alone but free to pursue a career in art., Hopkins attended the Art Academy of Cincinnati from 1895 to 1898. In 1899 she took classes with the influential artist Arthur Wesley Dow, an advocate of Japanese art. Following her marriage in 1904 with James Roy Hopkins (1877-1969), Hopkins and her husband settled in Paris, where they remained until the outbreak of World War I. After returning to America, Hopkins became part of a small group of artists in Provincetown, whose innovations in woodblock printmaking have come to be known as the Provincetown print or the white line woodcut. In 1917, a visit to the Cumberland Falls region of Kentucky provided the inspiration for some of Hopkins’s most important prints which predate the work of American regionalist painters and printmakers by a decade or more. In addition to the catalogue raisonné, Edna Boies Hopkins includes much new biographical research along with a census of her prints and a comprehensive list of her exhibitions.
Source: “Edna Boies Hopkins: Strong in Character, Colourful in Expression”, by Dominique H. Vasseur; Ohio University Press, 2007.
 
      
 
 
4

John Marin
. 1911.

Sailing ship at sea (Plachetní lod' na moři).


7,6 x 7 cm, colour etching, BBB 3692, Novak 542.



No picture of the ex libris.

 

John Marin (December 23, 1870 – October 2, 1953) was born in Rutherford, New Jersey. Worked for four years in architects' offices, then 1893-5 as freelance architect. Became increasingly interested in sketching, and studied art at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1899-1901 and briefly at the Art Students League, New York, 1904. 
Marin lived in Paris 1905-9, with trips to Holland, Belgium, Italy and England. Returned to New York in 1909 for his first one-man exhibition at Stieglitz's Photo-Secession Gallery. In Europe again 1910-11, then settled permanently in the USA. Lived in Brooklyn, then New York, then in Cliffside, New Jersey, 1916-53. He is known for his abstract landscapes and watercolours.
Source: Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists. London 1981. p.486.
 



      
John Marin by Irving Penn, 1948.
 

 
5

Karsavina
. 1911.

7,4 x 5,8 cm, woodcut in colour and black, Novak 543.

Tamara  Karsavina (1885-1978).

A daughter of a famous dancer, Platon Karsavin, Karsavina was educated at the Imperial Ballet School, St. Petersburg, under such teachers as Cecchetti, Christian Johansson, and Paul Gerdt, graduating in 1902. As ballerina at the Maryinsky Theatre she included in her repertoire Giselle and Odette-Odile in Swan Lake.
 



Colour woodcut.

 
5-Karsavina.bmp.jpg (178442 bytes)
Woodcut in black.
 



Drawing in black ink. 9,5 x 6,8 cm.
 

 
Karsavina is best known as the leading ballerina of Sergey Diaghilev's Ballets-Russes from its beginning in 1909 until 1922. She championed Mikhael Folkine's ideas of expressive dance and between 1909 and 1914 (paired with Nijinsky until 1913) she created the majority of famous roles in Fokine's neo-romantic repertoire, including Les Sylphides, Le Spectre de la Rose, Carnaval, Firebird, Petrushka, and Thamar. After marrying the English diplomat Henry James Bruce, Karsavina fled to London in 1918. 

She was associated for many years with Great Britain's Royal Academy of Dancing, for which she organised the Teachers' Training Course and the Camargo Society, from the time it received its charter in 1936.  Her writings include articles on technique for the journal Dancing Times, her autobiography Theater Street (1930), and the text Classical Ballet: The Flow of Movement (1962). Karsavina died on May 26, 1978, in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, England. Source: Encyclopćdia Britannica.
 
 
6
Robert Šimon
.
1911.

Chessboard with a game of chess pieces and a group of books (Šachovnice s partii šachových figurek a skupinou knih)
. 

11,4 x 7,4 cm, etching and aquatint, BBB 3710, Novak 544.
 
No picture of the ex libris.




 





Robert Antonín Šimon
(*Železnice 01-06-1875-† 11-04-1943); brother of  T.F. Šimon). Czech photographer and journalist.



Robert and Marie
Šimon and two children,
his father Antonin
Šimon and his wife Rozalie.
 

 
7a

Vilma Šimon (Ex Libris V. Šimonová). 1911.

6,0 x 4,7 cm, woodcut, Novak 545.

Vilemina (Vilma) Kracik . * 3 January 1882 - † Prague 4 January 1959. Daughter of Vaclav Kracik († 1917) and Eleonora Soumarova († ca. 1935). Brothers: Josef (living in Ljubljana in 1917), Jan (living in Belgrado in 1917). Sister Ruzena Kracik (she married the artist Josef Kratina, living in New York in 1917).
Vilma married the Czech artist T.F. Šimon in Prague on January 17th 1906, the couple had four children, Kamil (1906 -1912), Eva (1908-1997), Ivan (1914 -2009) and Pavel (1920 – 1958).

Because the Czech language adds “ova” to the family name if the person is a woman, Vilma is called Šimonova in Czech, and was born Kracikova. In English she is called Vilma Šimon-Kracik.


 
 
7b



T.F. Šimon
Size: 6,0 x 4,7 cm,
drawing in ink and aquarelle.



T.F. Šimon
Size: 6,0 x 4,7 cm,
woodcut and red ink.
 
 
   
      Vilma and T.F. Šimon in 1912.
 
 
7c

T.F. Šimon.

Drawing in ink and aquarelle.
Study for an ex libris, 
in the manner of number 7a & b.
Size of the drawing: 6,0 x 4,7 cm.


 



 
 
8

Dr. M. Štefánik. 1911.

7,1 x 6,2 cm, etching and aquatint, BBB 3713, Novak 546.

Milan Rastislav Štefánik (July 21, 1880 in Košariská – May 4, 1919 in Ivanka pri Dunaji) was a Slovak general, politician, diplomat, astronomer and art-connoisseur. He was one of the founders of Czechoslovakia. Štefánik was befriended with the artist T.F. Šimon (1877-1942).
 
 
9 Dr. M. Štefánik. 1912.

5,9 x 5,7 cm, etching and aquatint,
BBB 3714, Novak 547.

 


Blue version.

 



Black and white version.
 



  Portrait of Milan Rastislav Štefanik
      by Tavik František Šimon, 1918,
        drypoint, 190x155 cm.

 


   
    
Tavik František Šimon, Philosopher, 1905.
 Colour aquatint, 244 x 257 mm.
It is clear that Šimon had this graphic in mind when he
made the ex libris in 1912 for Štefanik.

 
10

R. Šimon. 1913.

4,9 x 3,6 cm, woodcut, BBB 3707, Novak 548.

Robert Antonín Šimon (*Železnice 01-06-1875-† 11-04-1943); brother of T.F. Šimon. Czech photographer and journalist.


 




 



T .F. Šimon and his brother Robert.
 

 
11
K.J. Obratil. 1913.

13 x 9 cm, etching, BBB 3697, Novak 549.

Karel Jaroslav Obratil
 (* 2 November 1866, Hukvaldy - 5 April 1945, Prague Pankrác) was a Czech cultural worker, journalist, writer, poet and translator.
 


Obratil on a photo.
 

He collected vulgar songs and jokes in his country and was therefore hated by the Catholics in his province, he lost his job as a teacher and moved to Prague. Before his son shot himself dead in an accident what caused his wife to be insane. In 1932 his collection was published in a private edition in 3 volumes: Kryptadia (Latin for hidden things).


Obratil`s ex libris from the artist P.F.Maly, 1942.
 

During the German occupation he made ​​no secret of his anti-fascist resistance, which long went through without penalty, but eventually he was arrested by the Gestapo 6th March 1945 and taken to Pečkárna, their headquarters in Prague. A month later, April 5, 1945, as a result of torture he died in the prison hospital in Pankrác in Prague.
 


 
 
12

Vilma Šimon (Vilma Šimonova). 1914.

9,7 x 6,4 cm, etching, BBB 3711, Novak 550.
T. F. Šimon, Ex libris a
Novoročenky, nr. 3, Praha, 1918.

Vilma (Vilemina) Kracik.
She was born January 3rd 1882 Kutna Hora, daughter of Dr. Vaclav Kracik  (+ June 30 1917 Hradec Kralové), and Eleonora Soumerova. Beloved wife of the artist
T. F. Šimon.



 




T.F. Šimon: “Portrait of Vilma”, 21x17cm,
pencil/white chalk on paper.
Onival (Normandy) 17/8 1903.

 

 
13  

Notary Hejna (Ex Libris Notarii Hejna). 1914.

14 x 10,4 cm, colour aquatint, BBB 3686, Novak 551. 

Ferdinand Hejna was notary in Kutna Hora from 1923 - 1951 (see State District Archives Kutna Hora).

The bookplate shows Prague castle (Hradčany) with St.Vitus Cathedral.




 



 

 
14 Ferdinand Hejna. 1914.
See 13.

15,2 x 12 cm, etching, BBB 3685, Novak 552.
T. F. Šimon, Ex libris a Novoročenky, nr. 4, Praha, 1918.

The bookplate shows Nové Město (New Town) from the Charles Bridge. Left is the bridge tower, behind the Prague castle (Hradčany) with St. Vitus Cathedral.


 
 
15
Karel Reinwald. 1915.

Castle of  Točník.

11,6 x 8,6 cm, etching, , BBB 3701, Novak 553. 
T.F.Šimon, Ex libris and Novoročenky, nr. 5, 1918.


Reinwald, Karel (1868-1932). He left his native Poříčany to Budapest, where he worked for a railway company. Buried at the Olšanský Cemetery in Prague.

Točník Castle is situated in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. It was built 1395 - 1398 during the reign of Václav IV above the already existing, but burned castle Žebrák. The two castles, Točník and Žebrák, make up a picturesque "couple," standing almost right next to each other.




 
 


 

 

 



Karel Reinwald.

Photo from the National Museum, Prague
(the private collection of Karel Fouse).
Dating June 22, 1889.

 



 

 
16
Arthur Novák (Artur Novak). 1915.

Bundle of five books
.

9,4 x 7 cm, etching, BBB 3696, Novak 554.
T.F.Šimon, Ex libris and Novoročenky, nr. 6, 1918.

 
Artur Novak (or Arthur Novak) (1876, Terezin -1957, Prague). Bibliophile, critic, translator and monographist. Editor of Hollar and Vitrinky. Author of: Kronika Grafického dila T.F. Šimona; Chronical of the Graphic work of T.F. Šimon and   Seznam Grafických Prací T. F. Šimona; Catalogue Raisonné of the Graphic work. Published by the Art Society Hollar in 1937. 
 
 

 



 
 
17


Bedřich Petrlík (BP). 1916.

Flag with monogram BP.


8,9 x 6,3 cm, etching, BBB 3698, Novak 555.

There is also a version with red letters.

Bedřich Petrlík (*1886). Sugar engineer from Kostelci nad Labem earlier from Neštěmice (Usti nad Labem), Bohemia. Collector of art. 
 

     


        
 

 
18 Arne Novak. 1916.

The Castle of Prague and the Baroque statue "The Dream of Saint Lutgardis".

10,1 x 7,1 cm, woodcut, BBB 3695, Novak 556.
Magazine "Bibliofil", Brno, 1923 (with image).  


 


 

 


Dr. Arne Novak,
director of seminars for Slavic philology(* 2.3.1880 Litomyšl – † 26.11.1939 Polička) was a Czech literary historian and critic, specialist in German and Czech studies. 1920: ordinary professor of Czech literature at Masaryk University in Brno, director of seminars for Slavic philology, 1924-1925 dean of the Faculty of Arts in Brno, 1938/1939 and 1939 rector.

The bookplate shows Nové Město (New Town) from the Charles Bridge. Left is the bridge tower, behind the Prague castle (Hradčany) with St. Vitus Cathedral. In front the statue of St. Lutgardis, a baroque statue on the Charles Bridge by Matthias Braun in Prague in 1710 as a commission from Evžen Tyttl, the abbot of the Cistercian monastery in Plasy.
Saint Lutgardis of Aywičres (Dutch: Sint-Ludgardis; 1182 – 16 June 1246; also spelled Lutgarde) was a Flemish saint. She was born in Tongres in Belgium (for which she is also called "Lutgardis of Tongres"), and entered into religious orders at the age of twelve. During her life various miracles were attributed to her, and she is known to have experienced religious ecstasies. Her feast day is June 16. St. Lutgardis is the patron saint of the blind and physically disabled.

 



 

 
19

Josef Hladký. 1916.

13,2 x 9,4 cm, etching, BBB 3688, Novak 557.
T. F. Šimon, Ex libris a
Novoročenky, nr. 9, Praha, 1918.


Hladký, Josef (1885-1960).
Born on 13 1.1885 in Brod, died on 18 2.1960 of pneumonia in Hranice. Czech bookseller, publisher, book artist, printmaker and collector. Published books for young people and translations of fiction in Prague and bibliophile prints in Hranice; co-founder of the magazine Bibliofil.  

The bookplate is an allegory. The man stands on Vyšehrad (Czech for "upper castle") a historical fort located in the city of Prague. It was probably built in the 10th century, on a hill over the Vltava River (Moldau). Behind is the Prague castle (Hradčany).

 

    
 
 
20 Ella Weissberger (Ella Weissbergerová). 1917.

6,3 x 5,9 cm (10,5 x 7,4 cm), etching, BBB 3717, Novak 558.
T. F. Šimon, Ex libris a Novoročenky, nr. 10, Praha, 1918.

Rytíř writes in his book: souvenir majitelky paní E.W.-Taussigové na cestu do Italie (= souvenir of the owner Mrs. Ella Weissbergerová -Taussigová on a trip to Italy).

 


 
 



 

A picture of an ex libris  (a woodcut, 11,7 x 7,8 cm) of Mrs. Ella Weissbergerová -Taussigová by Karel Vik ( 4 November 1883 in Hořice - 8 October 1964 in Turnov) a Czech graphic artist, illustrator and painter.

The Prague City Gallery has in their collection an ex libris of Ella Weissbergerová by the Czech artist Jan Konůpek (October 10, 1883 in Mladá Boleslav – March 13, 1950 in Prague), an etching, 22,8x15,1.cm.

 
 
 
21
Max Fischl. 1917.

Birch at the lake (bříza u jezera).


9,5 x 6,5 cm, etching, BBB 3682, Novak 559.


 
No picture of the ex libris.
 
22

Arnošt Procházka. 

10,5 x 8,9 cm, etching,  Novak 560.
T. F. Šimon, Ex libris a Novoročenky, nr. 11, Praha, 1918.

Arnošt Leopold Antonín Procházka ( 15 November 1869, Prague - 16 January 1925, Prague) was a Czech literary and art critic and translator of modern European literature. In 1894, along with Jiří Karásek from Lvovice, founded the magazine Modern Review. Translated from the Germanic and Romance languages, as well as the Russian and Polish.

 


 


22-sketch-drawing.bmp.jpg (91503 bytes)
Drawing in pencil by T F Šimon, 1917.
 



Photo.
 

 
23 Library bookplate of the Municipal Industrial Museum in Hradec Kralove (Knihovna Městského Průmyslového Musea V Hradci Králové). 1917.

A man reading a book, leaning against the trunk of a lime tree. The right hand holds up a statue of Pallas Athena. In the tree trunk, arrows are scored and its roots stand in the dustbin with bundles of documents, etc. In the background right the spire of the Church of the Holy Ghost in Hradec Králové. (Muž čtoucí knihu, opřený o kmen lípy. V pravici drží vzhůru sošku Pallas Athéné. Do kmenu stromu vstřeleny jsou šípy a v jeho kořenech spatřuje se popelnice, svazky listin atd. V pozadí vpravo věže kostela sv. Ducha v Hradci Králové.)

7,7 x 5 cm, zincography, BBB 3719, Novak 561.

 

 



 
 



The Museum of East Bohemia
, one of the most beautiful building in Hradec Králové, originates from 1908-1912, and is designed by the Czech architect Jan Kotera. He also designed the interiors including furniture and other equipment. The sculptor Vojtęch Sucharda and the painters Jan Preisler, František Kysela and Josef Novák participated in the interior.

 

 

 
 
24
Vítězslav M. Pavlousek (V.M. Pavlouskovi). 1918.

Sailing ship at sea on the left-mast a flag with the inscription Ex libris (Plachetní lodi na moři vlevo na žerdi vlajka s nápisem Ex libris).



 

No picture of the ex libris.
   

Engineer Vítězslav Pavlousek (* 10 Oktober 1874 Mladá Boleslav - + 25 April 1957 Prague).

Vítězslav Pavlousek was an important sports functionary in several sport events – honest member of the Czech Ski Club in Prague, co-founder of the Association of British skiers, Czech Lawn - Tennis Association (1906) and Czech Canoe Union (1913); frequent delegate to ski and congresses. He was also the editor of the Olympic Journal (1924-1927) and four protocols of the International Olympic Congress in 4 languages.
He worked as a technical council of Prague, was a successful proposer, architect, designer and director of water structures in Bohemia (sluice near Štvanice in Prague and Střekov hydro plant at Podlešín - Vaňov).
Literature: 1. JEŽEK, Přemysl. Česká tělovýchovná a sportovní literatura 1919–1945. Praha: FTVS UK, 2002. s. 659–660. ISBN 80-86317-26-9. 2. Slovník českých a slovenských výtvarných umělců 1950 - 2003 (XI. Pau - Pop) (= art dictionary).
 

 
 
25 Antonín Podlaha (Ex Libris Antonii Podlaha). 1918.

6,4 x 4,7 cm (14,8 x 10,9), colour etching,
BBB 3699, Novak 563.

Th. Dr. Antonín Podlaha ( 22 January 1865, Prague - 14 February 1932, Prague ) was a Czech Roman Catholic priest, theologian, archaeologist, art historian and  - collector and associate professor at Charles University.
In the years 1919 - 1930 he was Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Prague since 1920 auxiliary bishop of Prague and titular bishop of Paphus (Cyprus). Was a leading organizer of the activities of the Association for the completion of  St.Vitus in Prague and archaeological excavations, including royal tombs and previous buildings at this place.



 
                                    
                           podlaha1.JPG.jpg (76969 bytes)
   podlaha2.JPG (76503 bytes)
                                                                Stadia of four drawings by T.F.Šimon. 
 
 
 

                       
 

           
               Podlaha by Josef Šejnost.
  * 30.5.1878 Těšenov, Horní Cerekev (Pelhřimov), 
  + 9.2.1941 Prague; a sculptor and medallist.

 
 
26
T.F. Šimon
. 1918. 

5,5 x 4 cm, colour woodcut, 3 versions, BBB 7306. Novak 564.
 

Sketch-drawing-2-1918.bmp.jpg (87618 bytes)
Drawing in pencil by Šimon.



  Ex libris in black. 
 

tf-simon-26-1918.bmp.jpg (223284 bytes) 
             In yellow.                                           In blue.
 
Sketch-drawing--TFSimon-1918.bmp.jpg (55828 bytes)
Drawing. 
 Ink and pencil.
 
27 V. Slavik. 1919.

7 x 4,5 cm, woodcut, BBB 3705, Novak 565.

                   

                 Slavik is the Czech name for
                       Nightingale (Luscinia).


        The owner of the bookplate is unknown.
 



 
 
28
Rudolf Jehlička.
1919.

Invalid, as a convalescent, reading a book in the shade of a tree. Left in the distance St. Vitus and right the sacred Řip. (Invalida, jako rekonvalescent, čtoucí knihu ve stínu stromu. Vlevo v dáli chrám sv. Víta a vpravo posvátný  Říp).

10,3 x 8 cm, etching,
BBB 3691, Novak 566.                                                      


Prof. MD. Rudolf Jehlička
(*1869), Czech doctor and patron.

Mount Říp the place which, according to Cosmas’ magnum opus, the Chronicle of Bohemians, was settled by the first Slavs to arrive in the area, led by forefather Čech, after whom the Czech Republic is named. The top of this basalt bell-shaped mountain was probably a cult site in prehistoric times, and both prehistoric and medieval ceramic fragments have been found there. On the top we find the Romanesque Rotunda of St. George, dating from the 11th century. Říp has been a favourite place for pilgrimage and folk gatherings throughout Czech history. One of the most beautiful views of the Central Bohemian Massif, and the Krušné Hory (Ore Mountains; German: Erzgebirge) can be enjoyed from the top of Říp. During good weather you can see as far as Prague.
 

No picture of the ex libris.

 
 
29


Carlisle V. Hibbard. 1920.  

11 x 8,8 cm, etching, BBB 3687, Novak 567.

Carlisle V Hibbard, born in Oconomowoc, Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA on 12 Aug 1876 to Daniel Osmer Hibbard and Ida F Brightman.
 
. Carlisle married Susie Eugenia Lowell and had 2 children. He passed away on 28 November1954. Hibbard's life was spent in the service of the Y.M.C.A., and every position he had was concerned with the work of that organization or with students.
Source: YMCA Biographical Records, Kautz Family YMCA Archives, University of Minnesota.
 

 



The bookplate:
Nové Město from Charles Bridge in Prague
 


 


Carlisle V. Hibbard and Sue Eugenia Lowell were married in August, 1902. He was the son of a school principal in Racine, Wisconsin and she, the daughter of a Janesville, Wisconsin businessman. The couple had three children, Esther, Lowell, and Russell. Lowell died in Dairen, Manchuria in 1914. At the time of Mr. Hibbard's death, Nov. 28, 1954, Esther was Dean of Doshisha Women's College, Kyoto, Japan; and Russell was an executive with General Motors in Detroit.

Hibbard's years in the service of the Y.M.C.A may be divided thus:1902-1914. Student Secretary for the International Committee of the Y.M.C.A.; working in Japan, Korea, and Manchuria with students and soldiers.1915-1924. Associate General Secretary for the International Committee of the Y.M.C.A.; working in prisoner of war camps during and after World War I, in Germany, Russia, Italy, France, Japan, Great Britain, and the United States.
1924-1940. Secretary of the Y.M.C.A. at the University of Wisconsin.1941-1942. Y.M.C.A. representative in raising funds for prisoner of war work, traveling and lecturing.1943-1944. Executive Secretary of the National Japanese American Student Relocation Council, Swarthmore College.
1944-1953. Secretary of the University of Wisconsin Y.M.C.A. Board of Trustees. Spearheaded the drive to raise one half million dollars for the new Y.M.C.A. building.
Source: Wisconsin Historical Society, Library-Archives Division.
 

 

  
Drawing in pencil. 11,7 x 9 cm.
                             .
 

 
30 Antonín Müller. 1920.

In a landscape an engineer, as tall as Gulliver, measures astride with a compass a bridge. (Inženýr jako Gulliwer rozkročmo nad krajinou měří kružidlem most).

14,6 x 9,4 cm, etching, BBB 3693, Novak 568.

Antonín Müller (1852–1927) a civil engineer, founded in Plzeň in 1890 [with Vojtěch Kapsa (1855–1915] the building company Podnikatelství staveb, at that time realising the largest engineering works in Czechoslovakia.



 
 
31
John I. Scull
. 1920.

Le stryge, a gargoyle from Notre Dame in Paris. (Le stryge, chrlič z chrámu Matky Boží v Pařiži).

10 x 7 cm, woodcut, BBB 3703, Novak 569.

John Irwin Scull (1888-1959) was a newsman and banker. The bookplate shows a sculpture on the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, called Le Stryge.

Left, north of the cathedral, is the tower of Église St Jacques de la Boucherie, 39 Rue de Rivoli. This bell tower was built between 1509 and 1523 by John Felin, Julien Ménart and John Revier. It measures 54 meters to the railing. In 1523, Rault, "Image tailor" received 20 pounds "for had three animals (three of the four symbols of the Evangelists) and St. Jacques on the tower and steeple." This colossal statue measured, say, 10 meters high. The church was destroyed in 1793; the purchaser of the church had been a condition not to demolish the tower. The statue of St. Jacques, shot in the Revolution, is replaced by another, due to Chenillon Paul, who made ​​a plaster model, high of 3.80 meters.
 



 
 
This grotesque, located on an angle along the gallery of the south tower of Notre-Dame, is one of a group of fantastical figures carved during the 19th C. restoration of the cathedral. This restoration was carried out between 1843-64 under the direction of Eugčne-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc (with Jean-Baptiste Lassus, until his death in 1857), chief architect for the Commission de monuments historique, France's agency for national preservation at the time. By the mid-19th C., the medieval gargoyles that had protectively spouted water away from the building had deteriorated. Inspired by Victor Hugo's 1831 book Notre-Dame de Paris (English: Hunchback of Notre Dame), Viollet-le-Duc replaced the gargoyles with chimčres, as he called them, guardian-demons that, from an architectural viewpoint, are simply decorative. An 1852-54 series of etchings on Paris by artist Charles Meryon featured an image of the grotesque pictured here. Meryon showed it overlooking the city below; he named the print Le Stryge (The Vampire), and catapulted the stone carving to fame.

From St. Johnsville, New York, Enterprise and News on Wednesday, March 13, 1938:
John Irwin Scull (Caroline, Lucinda, Caroline, Anna, Jacob, John, Nicholas) born Somerset, Pa. Feb. 16, 1888. A member of an old and prominent Somerset county family, Mr. Scull was born in this part of Pennsylvania and has spent practically all his life here. Like his father, one of the leading bankers of Somerset county, Mr. Scull is identified with two of the most prominent banks of the city of Somerset, of both of which he is vice president. He is regarded as one of the most able and, most successful of the younger generation of bankers in Somerset county and holds a position of importance and influence in the community. Mr. Scull prepared for college Mercersburg Academy from which he was graduated in 1905. He then entered Princeton University, graduated in 1909 with degree B. of A. one year's post graduate course M. of A. 1910. In summer of that year he was a member of the reportorial staff of the Philadelphia Press. Later in 1910 became connected with the U.S. Fidelity and Guaranty Co., continued until 1918 serving in various capacities. Spent three years 1918-21 with American Red Cross. Returned to Somerset in 1922 became connected with Somerset T. Co., with which he remained until 1926. Actively engaged since with First National Bank of Somerset. Vice president of both. While attending college he became a member of the Quadrangle Club of Princeton, also member of Somerset Country Club. Unmarried.
Source: The American Historical Society, Inc., N.Y. City.
 
 
 
32
John Irwin Scull
. 1921.

At a bookstall in Paris on Quai Montebello at Notre Dame. Marked on the leaves down in the middle the imprinted green sign. of the artist (U pařížského bouquinisty na Quai Montebello u Notre-Dame. Označeno na listech vtištěnou zelenou sign. umělcovou dole uprostřed).
 
11,2 x 8,9 cm, colour aquatint, Novak 570.

John Irwin Scull.  
Biographical Sketch of John Irwin Scull (1888-1959) by the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania:

J.I. Scull
was a newsman, banker and lifelong citizen of Somerset (Somerset County), Pennsylvania. Scull served in non-combat roles during World War I and upon his return to Somerset, joined the banking profession. Scull eventually became President of the Somerset Trust Company and Chairman of the Board of the First National Bank of Somerset. In addition to his role in Somerset's financial community, Scull was also greatly involved in the cultural and social life of Somerset as a patron of the arts and philanthropist. John Irwin Scull was also an avid genealogist and spent a good deal of his adult life tracing his lineage back to Cork County, Ireland in the 17th century. His ancestors were members of the prominent Scull and Irwin families. These families included some of the first settlers of the Western Pennsylvania region. Scull undertook the burden of his family's genealogical research to provide his grandnieces and nephews with a better indication of their ancestors. See also Ex Libris 3
1.
 



Graphic proof.
 
 
33
Dr. Hugo Siebenschein. 1921.

9,2 x 7,3 cm, etching, BBB 3704, Novak 571.

Professor dr. Hugo Siebenschein ( 6 April 1889 Strážnice - 13 December 1971 in Prague ) was a Czech literary historian, germanist, lexicographer and author of textbooks. He is known especially for his Czech-German and German-Czech dictionary. His mother stemmed from a German Protestant family, his father was of Jewish origin. Hugo was married with Anna Siebenscheinová, born Rozená Sládečková (29 March 1918 Prague - 13 February 2006), a Czech translator from German and university teacher. Anna Siebenscheinová studied Czech and German at Charles University. From1955-1985 she taught German at artistically oriented universities. From 1959-1971 she worked as a lecturer of fine arts at the University of Prague and at the Academy of Fine arts in Prague. She participated in the Czech-German and German-Czech dictionary of her husband Hugo Siebenschein and cooperated with the Czechoslovakian and Czech Radio in Prague.


The library of České Budějovice owns the ex libris
Two children in the mountains by T.F.
Šimon (etching 9,2x7,3 cm), former owner Lila Blažková, born 1900. Probably she is Lila Siebenscheinová. She wrote “Ženy v životě básníků” (= Women in the life of poets), Volume 1 of Husova lidová škola (= Hus Folk School). Publisher Husova lidová škola, Roudnice 1923.
She wrote also “Art means Sokol Education / Lila Siebenscheinová” Otisk z Věstníku župy Podřipské (The imprint of the Bulletin of the county Podřipské).

 

 

Right: Portrait of Hugo Siebenschein (1889–1971) by Otakar Kubín (1883–1969), Undated (1907–08), Oil on canvas, 54.5 x 40.5 cm. Jewish Museum in Prague.


 




 






No picture of a bookplate for Hugo Siebenschein.
Maybe he only ordered the ex libris.

There is a bookplate of Lila Siebenschein(ová).


Dve dęti na horách.
Two children in the mountains.
Monogram TF
Š.


 

 
34


Vaclav Rudl
. 1922
.

11,2 x 6,5 cm, aquatint, BBB 3702, Novak 572.

Václav Rudl, or Vácslav Rudl (* September 8, 1875 Bechyně - + March 12, 1958 Nová Ves u Bakova (Mladá Boleslav). Inland Revenue Director, bibliophile and collector of ex libris, co-founder of the Czech Exlibrisist's Society (Kroužku českých exlibristů) and collaborator of the Boleslavan.
Literature: K. Bílek: “Václav Rudl”, Prague, 1999.

Rudl-2-sketches.bmp.jpg (62714 bytes)
Two study drawings in pencil for the ex-libris of Vaclav Rudl.


                  



 


Sketch-drawing-Rudl.bmp.jpg (124562 bytes)
Drawing in ink and pencil by T.F.Šimon.
 


Rudl-etching.bmp.jpg (145510 bytes)
Etching.
 
 
35
Alice Lee and Richard Myers. 1922.

Notre Dame de Paris (Chrám Matky Boží v Pařiži).


10 x 7,4 cm, aquatint, BBB 3694, Novak 573.

The bookplate shows Notre Dame in Paris and the river Seine.
 
No picture of the ex libris.


 

 


RICHARD EDWIN MYERS
(1888-1958).
Richard Edwin Myers was born in Chicago on December 25, 1888. After graduation from the University of Chicago in 1911, he considered becoming a pianist and songwriter, but his first job was in the shipping department of the American Radiator Company in St. Paul. In 1917, however, he moved to New York City to pursue a theatrical career. These plans were interrupted by World War I, when Myers joined the U. S. Army and served in the American Expeditionary Force in France.

Upon demobilization, he returned to Chicago, where in 1920 he married his college sweetheart, Alice Lee Herrick. In 1920 the Myers's settled in a Paris apartment. Over the next decade and beyond, Alice Lee and Richard Myers would play host to many major literary and artistic figures on the European scene. From 1921-28 Myers was advertising manager for the American Express Company in Paris. For the next four years he remained in Paris as an associate editor of the Ladies Home Journal, but returned to New York City in 1932 and was hired as a sales representative for M. Lehmann Inc., a wine and liquor retailer. During World War II he served in the Office of Strategic Services in London and after the war became a director of M. Lehmann, Inc.

Well known in New York and Paris social circles as a fine amateur musician, the former student of Nadia Boulanger composed the piano music for Archibald MacLeish's "Alien" and some music for Philip Barry's play "Without Love." In 1949 Richard E. Myers received the Cross of the French Legion of Honor for encouraging the performance of French music in the United States and for his work with American aid to France. He served on the board of directors of the New York Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera Guild. He was also a connoisseur of French wines, associate editor of Gourmet, and a regular contributor to Town & Country.

Richard E. Myers and Alice Herrick Myers had three children: Frances Margaret ("Fanny") born in 1921, Richard Herrick ("Dicky") in 1923, and Alice Lee ("Boo" or "Lee") in 1929. Myers died on August 8, 1958.
 

ALICE LEE HERRICK MYERS (1890-1986).
Alice Lee Herrick was born in Chicago on August 27, 1890. After the death of her mother in 1898, Alice and sister Frances lived with their grandmother, Mrs. Anthony French Merrill, in Camden, Maine. She majored in English at the University of Chicago, where she met her future husband, and after graduation worked in Chicago. In 1918 she volunteered for service in the American Red Cross and worked in France and Germany in its Bureau of Canteens.

After marriage the couple moved to Paris, where she directed the bilingual education of their children and managed a dress shop that featured embroidery work by Russian émigrés. In 1933 she wrote, from Paris, a fashion column for the Chicago Daily News. The talent, however, for which Alice Lee was best known, particularly during her Paris years, was her skill at entertaining. The Myers's home attracted scores of American and French writers, playwrights, singers, producers, critics, musicians, and diplomats, many of whom became close personal friends. Alice Lee remained in Paris for two years after her husband began working for M. Lehmann, Inc., but thereafter New York City became their permanent home.

The children finished their education in New York City and Connecticut. During World War II, Fanny served with the Office of War Information in London and Paris. Dicky enlisted in the Royal Air Force but was killed on a training flight in Canada on November 28, 1943. Alice Lee nursed her husband during his long illness in the 1950s and after his death remained devoted to her family and friends until her death on June 5, 1986. Source: Yale University Library.
 



Study drawing in pencil by Šimon. 10,2 x 7,3 cm.



Alice Lee. Portrait by Boleslaw Jan Czedekowski, Polish/Austrian artist (1885 Wojnilow – 1969 Wien).


Dick Myers and Stephen Vincent Benét (right).
Around 1940.
 

 
36
Frances and Thomas Daniels. 1922.

View of a part of the bridge towers of Malá Strana with St. Nicholas. At the Charles Bridge, pedestrians and a horse-drawn carriage with tarpaulin. Marked on the bottom right of the board. Under the picture then the legend. (Pohled na čast malostrankých mosteckých věží s chrámem sv. Mikuláše. Na mosté Karlové pak chodci a koňský povoz s plachtou. Označeno na desce vpravo dole. Pod obrázkem pak legenda).

9,8 x 7,2 cm, etching, Novak 574.
 
No picture of the ex libris.
 


A bookplate for the couple Thomas L. Daniels and Frances H. Daniels.
Thomas father, John W. Daniels (February 23, 1857 – June 8, 1931), was a founder of the Archer-Daniels Linseed Company which became the Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (ADM). John married Amelia (*1859) in 1879 and they had one son, Thomas (*1893). Thomas married
Frances (*1897). They had 3 children Forrest L. Daniels (*1919),  John H. Daniels (*1921; later president of ADM), David (*1927 – 2002; a singer/actor). In 1936, a baby girl, Carol, was adopted by Tom and Frances. The adoption order provided that Carol should to all legal intents and purposes, be the child of the petitioners [Tom and Frances] and for the purpose of inheritance and all other legal incidents and consequences, shall be the same as if she had been born to them in lawful wedlock. John's wife Amelia died in 1938. Tom's wife Frances died in March of 1969.

The Winona Daily News from Winona, Minnesota,  December 3, 1969 · Page 13: “Daniels estate $1.6 million ST. PAUL (AP) - An Inventory filed Tuesday with Probate Judge Andrew A. Glenn in St. Paul shows that Mrs. Frances H. Daniels left an estate of $1,671,523. Mrs. Daniels, who died last March 23 at the age of 73, was the wife of Thomas Daniels, retired president of Archer. Tom remarried June. Tom died in 1977.
[See the case TOOMBS v. DANIELS NO. C9-83-89. Supreme Court of Minnesota.
January 25, 1985]. Today ADM is one of the world’s leading processors and distributors of agricultural products for food and animal feed.
 

 
 
37


Helen and Francis Hardy. 1922.

St Vitus Cathedral seen from
Jelení příkop (Chrám sv. Víta z Jeleního přikopu). Jelení příkop (Deer Moat, a natural ravine in the area of Prague Castle, sprawling over an area of 8 hectares).

9,9 x 7,1 cm, etching, Novak 575.

Francis (Howe) Hardy
was a summer resident of Ephraim from 1930 until his death in 1960. Although he was a businessman and not a professional artist, it was his ambition to create in Door County/Wisconsin a climate of understanding and appreciation of the arts which would attract both artists and art lovers to the area. To this end he encouraged annual well presented exhibits of art work. Helen and Francis Hardy were both non-professional artists. They made significant financial contributions to cultural projects.
 
 

No picture of the ex libris.
 
38
Dr. Vladimir Hoppe. 1923.

Nocturno. Antique Alley with statues and a poem in the foreground. Framed by two columns on the cornice is an open book. Marked down in the middle. (Nocturno. Antická alej se sochami a basenem v popředí. Orámováno dvěma sloupy, na jejichž řimse spočívá rozevřená kniha. Označeno dole uprostřed).

10 x 7,4 cm, aquatint and etching, BBB 3689, Novak 576.

Prof. Dr. Vladimír Hoppe (* August 19, 1882 Brno - † 3 March 1931 in Prague) philosopher, professor of philosophy at Masaryk University in Brno. Partner Marie-Teinitzerová Hoppe (Teinitzerová). Marriage: July 18, 1925. Parents Frederick Hoppe and Olga Hoppe (Kozánková), 2 brothers: Viktor Hoppe and Jaroslav Hoppe.

 


No picture of the ex libris.
 


Vladimir Hoppe.

 
39
Adolf Wenig
. 1923.

6,4 x 4,9 cm, woodcut in two colours, BBB 3718, Novak 577.
 
Adolf Wenig (1874 - 1940) was born in Stankov u Horšovského Týna in a teaching family. Because his father soon died, the son could end only the lower secondary school and then completed his education at the Prague Teachers Institute.  

All his life he devoted himself to teaching mission and a collection of legends and myths. Among the best known are rumors of Old Prague, heroic rumors of Blanik Moravian-Silesian reputation. Also translated and wrote songs and libretti, among other things, worked with Antonín Leopold Dvořák on the opera The Devil and Kate. He was a close friend of the famous singer Ema Destin.
 

 
40
Fredricka Boyles. 1924.

Castle Strečno in Slovakia. Marked on the bottom plate.
(Hrad Strečno na Slovensku. Označeno dole na desce.)


10,5 x 7,3 cm, etching, Novak 578.

Fredericka Boyes, an oil heiress, also called Freddy Child, was a bookbinder and teacher, She married the artist Charles Jesse Child in 1926. Photo source: Appetite for Life, The Biography of Julia Child by Noel Riley Fitch.
 
 
No picture of the ex libris.


The Child Family: Fredericka Boyes, Erica, Jonathan, Charlie, Julia, Paul, and Rachel in the late 1940s.
 

Strečno Castle (Slovak: Strečniansky hrad)
is a Gothic castle in northern Slovakia, 16 km east of Žilina, above the river Váh. The very first mention of Strečno castle is dated 1321. During the last years of the 17th century Emperor Leopold I ordered the castle to be destroyed. Fortification and roofs were demolished, the castle well and the rain water vessel were buried and so the castle has been in ruins for three centuries.

                       T. F. Šimon, Novak 589, 1932,
                       Strečno at the Vah, etching 210x295 mm.



 

 


                Aerial view from Strečno castle.

                              
                                Strečno castle,  reconstruction, as it was before 1700.

 
 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Strečno castle, etching 275x200 mm.



 Right: T. F. Šimon, Novak 410, 1924,
 Strečno castle, etching 106x63 mm.


 

 



 


Charles Jesse Child (painter, writer),
husband of Fredricka Boyles, born January 15, 1902, Montclair, New Jersey, died February 8, 1983, Pennswood Village, Newtown, PA.".

...no culture is an exclusive culture. All arts are influenced by other arts, and it's important to include historical perspective and be familiar with other arts."

Photo: Charles Jesse Child in a newspaper clipping, courtesy the James A. Michener
Art Museum library.

 

 
After a brief career at Harvard University, where he was art editor of The Lampoon, Charles Child spent five years travelling and studying in Europe and Asia, which contributed to his great versatility as an artist. He made portraits, murals, and landscapes, illustrated children's books and poems, and designed fabric. He painted the stage curtain for the Bucks County Playhouse and a mural for the Doylestown Post Office. In 1942, he directed the art and music section of the Cultural Board of the State Department and later as an advisor on the arts and humanities, helped develop the cultural exchange program. He illustrated and wrote a book in 1965, Roots in the Rock, which was a non-fiction account of the building of his summer home in Maine. For many years Child wrote a weekly column for the New Hope Gazette called The Inner Eye, often focusing on his travels and his observations of contemporary life.
Charles Jesse Child and his identical twin brother, Paul Cushing Child, were born in Montclair, New Jersey on January 15, 1902. Six months after their birth, their father, Charles Triplet Child, a scientist working at the Astrophysical Observatory in the Smithsonian, passed away and their mother, Bertha May Cushing, a singer, moved to her family’s home in Boston. The brothers grew up in a musical environment; Charles played the violin, Paul the cello and Mary, their older sister, the piano. After high school, Charles attended Harvard University where he became the art editor of The Harvard Lampoon; and Paul briefly attended Columbia College. The family moved to Paris in the 1920s for Bertha’s career, there Charles and Paul studied art and photography, respectively. In 1926, Charles married Fredericka (Freddie) Boyles, an oil heiress whom he met while painting her portrait, and together they travelled through Europe and Asia pursuing his interest in art. Charles and Freddie returned to the US in 1930 and settled in Bucks County, on Green Hill Road in Lumberville, PA. She worked as a bookbinder and teached bookbinding. He worked for the U.S. State Department (primarily UNESCO), first in Washington then in San Francisco before retiring in 1947 and returning to Bucks County. Paul, a cartographer with a refined palate, met Julia McWilliams, a researcher who helped develop a shark repellent, in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) during World War II when they were both working for the Office of Strategic Services – the precursor to the CIA. They married in Stockton, NJ on Labor Day, 1946, and held their wedding reception in the backyard of Charles and Freddie’s Lumberville home, Coppernose. Paul and Julia lived in various European cities before Paul retired from the United States Foreign Service and settled in Cambridge, MA where they lived for 40 years. Always close, Paul is known to have written weekly letters to Charles, as well as other family members and friends, detailing Paul and Julia’s lives in France. Julia also wrote frequently and called Freddie her sister-in-cooking. In the 1940s, the two couples hand-built a log cabin on Blue Hill Bay, Mt Desert Island off the coast of Maine where Charles had a summer studio and Julia visited frequently to perfect her recipes. In 1965 Charles wrote and illustrated an amusing family memoir of their summers in Maine, Roots in the Rocks. Upon meeting Julia, he describes her as “a tall, willowy creature with dark, curly hair and blue, blue eyes, as jolly and gay as Paul was serious….She was a tough, relentless worker at whatever she undertook, immensely systematic, determined to carry through anything she began.” The date was 1945, Paul and Julia were living in France and visiting the family in Maine when they announced their engagement, Julia was “mastering the art of French cooking, and would spend her free hours every day at the stove, notebook in hand, enthusiastically reeling out miles of cookies, pots full of Boeuf Bourguignon and Tripe ŕ la mode de Caen.” [Roots in the Rocks, page 123 – available in the Michener Art Museum Library]. Paul enjoyed photography and writing poetry, his photographs were used in Julia’s cookbooks such as The French Chef Cookbook and From Julia Child’s Kitchen. Charles painted landscapes, portraits and murals; his drawings and poems illustrated adult and children’s books; he also created decorative screens and panels, and designed rugs and fabrics, for private homes. Charles created a mural titled William Markham Purchases Bucks County Territory for the Doylestown, PA Post Office in 1937 as part of Roosevelt’s New Deal program. He painted the stage curtain for the Bucks County Playhouse in 1939. In it he depicted the town of New Hope, Pennsylvania, and local landmarks such as Bowman’s Tower, the Logan Inn, the New Hope Railroad Station, and the Bucks County Playhouse, along with the townspeople and artists to emphasize New Hope’s reputation as an artists’ colony. Charles’s artwork was shown in a number of exhibitions over the years, including the Woodmere Art Gallery in 1970 and Phillips Mill in 1979. Charles also wrote a weekly column for the New Hope Gazette entitled “The Inner Eye”, centering on his travels and interpretations on everyday life.
 
 
 
41


Louisa Houžvička (Ex libris Luisy Houžvičkové). 1924.

Castle Orava in Slovakia.


8,5 x 6,0 cm, etching, BBB 3690, Novak 579.

A bookplate for Louisa Houžvička, a Czech artist.

Památník národního písemnictví (Monument of National Literature) owns a bookplate from Louisa Houžvičková from 1925 by the Czech artist Bohumil Krs, titled EX LIBRIS LOUISA HOUŽVIČKOVÁ.
Zincograph, 130 x 87 mm, not signed.





 

 

 

Orava Castle (Slovak: Oravský hrad), is situated on a high rock above the River Orava in the village of Oravský Podzámok, Slovakia. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful castles in Slovakia. The castle was built in the Kingdom of Hungary in the thirteenth century. Orava Castle stands on the site of an old wooden fortification, built after the Mongol invasion of Hungary of 1241. Its history since then reveals a familiar pattern of construction, destruction, reconstruction, fire, various ownerships and territorial squabbles. The original design was in Romanesque and Gothic style; it was later reconstructed as a Renaissance and Neo-Gothic structure, hugging the shape of the 520-metre spur on which it perches.
The mining magnate Thurzo family, who took charge in the mid 16th century, was responsible for a great deal of rebuilding work, although its present form was not finalised until 1611. It burned down again in 1800, after which the Pálffy’s occupied the castle. And then, after a period of dilapidation and World War II, the castle became a national monument.

T.F. Šimon, Novak 1923 AP2.
Orava castle, woodcut, 162x126.



 

 
42
D.K. and C.L. Rose. 1924.

The owner is an American (Majitelka je američanka)
.

10,9 x 8,3 cm, aquatint, Novak 580.

Prague Castle (Hradčany) and St Vitus Cathedral in the snow, seen from Jelení příkop (= Deer Moat, a natural ravine in the area of Prague Castle, sprawling over an area of 8 hectares).

Probably is meant Dr. D.K. Rose (1886-1976), a well-known urologist. The first urodynamic instrument for measuring bladder pressure during filling and voiding has been used clinically for the first time by Dr. D.K. Rose in 1927; only in the 50s, this simple instrument, based on physical principles of hydrodynamics, was converted into an electronic apparatus.


 
 


  Dr D.K. Rose holding a urethroscope, ca 1939, Washington University, School of Medicine Faculty.
His name is found in: Symposium on Cancer, Surgical Clinics of North America, Barnard Free Skin & Cancer Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri, W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia & London, 1944, First edition, hardcover in dust jacket, 6" x 9", ill. (Combined Surgical and Hormonal Treatment for Cancer of Prostate, Dr. D.K. ROSE).
Left: Dr. Rose as a faculty member in the Hatchet of the Washington University, 1922.
.
 
 
42b Souvenir de L‘Albanie, Judr. D. Teller. 1924.

13 x 8,9 cm, etching, BBB 3715, Novak 1924 AP2.

David Teller was born in 1875 in Zahrádkách u Pelhřimova, died August 5, 1929 in Dolní Lipová. Lawyer in Česke Budějovice, bookplate collector, a member of the Association of collectors and friends of bookplates.

Source data found in: Milan Humplík: Osobnosti Českého Exlibris  (Personalities of Czech bookplates), 2015.

Added by
Vacláv Rytíř to the catalogue of ex libris.


 
 
43
Walter and Helen Gethman. 1925.

Saint Lutgardis on Charles Bridge in Prague.

11 x 7,8 cm, aquatint, Novak 581.

T. F. Šimon made two versions of this print.
The first (right) with the text "Christmas Greetings Mr. and Mrs. Walter W. Gethman, and  the second (below; which is the drawing for the ex libris) with the text "Ex libris Walter and Helen Gethman. The first version is published in the catalogue raisonné by Václav Rytíř. I state –  PF 1924 (compare N 411), II  –  Ex libris.

Walter Wesley Gethman, born 21 Feb 1882 in Spring Creek/Gladbrook, Tama Co, died 07 July 1938 in Geneva, Switzerland. He was the son of Johann William Edward Gethmann (called himself John Gethman, having dropped the second "n" from Gethmann and Helene Mertens, who had five children). Walter went to work with the troops in France during WWI, married in England, and ended working for the YMCA for the rest of his life in Europe, first in Prague and then Geneva. He married Helen Maxwell King, an American nurse, 28 July 1920 in St. Martin-in-the-Fields, London, England.
They met in France during WWI, she ran the so-called Women's Force while he was with the YMCA.

Helen Maxwell King, born 05 June 1885 in Olivet, Eaton Co.; died 30 Oct 1967 in Waukesha, Waukesha Co. She was the daughter of Hon. Hamilton King and Cora Lee Seward. Hamilton was the first US envoy to Siam, from 1898 to 1912. He is buried in the Protestant Cemetery in Bangkok. There is a picture of his grown daughter (Helen King) marching as the only woman in a parade celebrating the coronation of the king in 1912. Her father had been ill, and it is said that Helen was effectively running the American consulate. Children of Walter Gethmann and Helen King are: 1. Mary Helen Gethman, born 23 May 1921 in Prague, Republic of Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic); died 13 Nov 2002 in Waukesha; married Gordon Marshall Galloway. 2. Cora Lee King Gethman; married Prof. Julian Howard Gibbs.
Walter and Helen first settled in Prague as part of an international effort to establish the YMCA of Czechoslavakia. They later settled in Geneva, Walter having been appointed head of the World Council of the YMCA, which was and is headquartered in Geneva. Both Walter and Helen were buried in Geneva. (Information by James H. Gibbs, greatgrandson of Walter and Helen).

Walter Gethmann is mentioned in the Northwestern University - Syllabus Yearbook (Evanston, IL) - Class of 1912. Philosophy Charles City College. In 1910 he published the book “The Development of the Idea of Religious Morality in Hebrew”, Northwestern University Prophecy.
 





Drawing in ink. 
 



Chicago Tribune, July 9, 1938.
Obituary Walter W. Gethman.
 


 

Asian Art Museum, San Francisco Gold bowl with garudas and celestials; 1920–1921; Thailand. Gift of the family of Helen King Gethman
This gold bowl was given in 1921 as a wedding present from King Rama VI to Helen King, the daughter of Hamilton King, a U.S. diplomat in Siam. It was delivered by the Siamese ambassador to King’s family in the St. Petersburg, Florida.Bowls such as this one were made to contain religious objects or offerings. In old Siam they were included as part of the insignia of royal family members and high officials. A gold bowl was a popular wedding gift from the royal family.
This bowl is decorated with several alternating motifs: a mythical bird with human attributes (a garuda), stylized foliage, and a celestial being with hands in the gesture of adoration.
The Siamese traditionally preferred objects of high-karat gold of a reddish colour. According to analysis in the museum’s conservation laboratory this bowl is 71 percent gold, 24.5 percent silver, and small quantities other metals and minerals. In Western terms this would be considered 17 karat gold. Why the surface is so reddish is not clear.

 
 
 
44
Dr. Rudolf Tille
. 1925.

9,5 x 7,6 cm, zincography, BBB 3716, Novak 582.

Engineer Rudolf Tille (1892-1998) Czech brewer, born in a brewing family. Devoted to scientific activities, he worked in several breweries. He started in Breznice, also worked in Pécs, Nitro, Brno, Jagodina Ratiboř, Karviná and Cheb. From 1938-1948 he worked at the brewery in Karvina. He lived a long life of 106 years.
Literature: Starec M., 2010: “Die Geschichte der Brauerei in Karviná”, 2010. Tille, R.: “Pameti ing. Rudolf Tille”. Plzen, 1990.

             
                       Label of the brewery of Karviná.
 


 
 



Brewery in Karviná.
 

 
44b


Longhaired Girl with Books. 1925.

Lithograph, 12 x 7,5 cm.

Edmund Donauer.
In her diploma thesis of 2007 “Líšeň between Democracy and Nazism (Development in the Years 1918 - 1945)” Monika Sobolová of the Masaryk University, College of education, Department of History, calls Edmund Donauer as one of the representatives of the former local political parties of Líšeň. In a new party he is managing director (Czech: jednatel) in October 1938. Líšeň (German: Lösch) is a historic market town, today under the name of Brno- Líšeň also part of Brno (German: Brünn).

Left: New year's card, Novak 1925 AP3, with the same motif.
 

 

 
 
45


Václav Mareš.
1927.

Charles Bridge in the snow.

12 x 7,7 cm, aquatint, Novak 583.
 


Václav Mareš
* 22.7.1891 Hluboš - + 27.10.1954 Prague; bookseller and publisher.

Literature:Velký slovník osobností vědy a kultury příbramského regionu (Great Dictionary of personalities of science and culture of the Přibram region), author Trantina Václav, 2001.
 
 
 



In grey.
 



In blue.
 
46
Máňa Pátková (Ex Libris Máni Pátkové
). 1928.

Castle of Křivoklát (Hrad Křivoklát).

9,5 x 7 cm, Etching, Novak 584.

A bookplate for a woman called Máňa Pátek.

Křivoklát Castle is located in the Central Bohemia Region of the Czech Republic, west of Prague. The castle of Křivoklát belongs to the oldest and most important castles of the Czech princes and kings.
The history of its construction starts in the 12th century.  During the reign of Přemysl Otakar II. a large, monumental royal castle was built to be later rebuilt by king Václav IV, who used it primarily for leisure and sport, preferring it to his father's more famous Karlstejn, located in the same region. Later the castle was generously enlarged by king Vladislav of Jagellon. The castle was seriously damaged by fire several times. It became a feared prison and its importance sank rapidly. First during the Romantic époque of the 19th century (when under rule of the family of Fürstenberg that owned the castle until 1929) the castle was reconstructed after a fire in 1826.



 
 
47
V. Fanderlik.
1929

9,3 x 5,9 cm, etching, Novak 585.

Dr. Velen Fanderlik (11 February 1907 Prague - 2 February 1985 Trail, British Columbia, Canada), was born and educated in Czechoslovakia. He displayed artistic ability from an early age, but followed family tradition and tradition and after graduating from the Faculty of Law, Masaryk University in Prague, he opened a law office. Both Velen and his father Vladimír Fanderlik were instrumental in organizing the Czechoslovakian Boy Scouts, Junák, of which Velen became President.
World War II and the absorption of Czechoslovakia by the Soviet Union, forced Velen to flee his homeland. He practiced law in England, and also in France, where he worked as an evacuation officer for Czechoslovak refugees. He married his wife, Stanislava Fanderlíkova (Zvědělíková) 27. 7. 1941 in England (St. George in Whitchurch). He later served as a military judge and became a member of the prosecuting team at the Nuremberg war crime trials.
 
A visit to Czechoslovakia in 1947 coincided with the Communists taking control. Velen was warned that his name appeared on a list of persons considered dangerous to state security. He fled Czechoslovakia illegally to the American zone of West Germany, where he became involved in the work of the International Relief Organization. About a year later, he returned to England, but before long, made the decision to relocate to Canada. He studied art in London, San Francisco, Banff and Vancouver
 


 
 
They settled in Vancouver, where Velen worked at the YMCA and studied at the University of British Columbia (U.B.C.) to become a teacher. In 1955, Velen accepted a teaching position at J.L. Crowe Secondary School in Trail. Here, he taught Latin, History, Social Studies, Law and Art until his retirement. He also taught the History of Art at night school classes in Trail and Castlegar and at summer schools at U.B.C. and Notre Dame University in Nelson. Velen continued to study art throughout his life, attending classes at the University of Brno, St. Martin School of Art in London, Cambridge University, the Academy of Art in San Francisco, University of British Columbia and the Banff School of Fine Arts. His favourite medium was watercolours, but he also worked in oil paints, pastels and other mediums.
 
 
He became known as a miniaturist and for his lino cuts. The Trail Arts Club annually gives a Dr. V. Fanderlik Scholarship to a promising student of art and very well known around town.” Fanderlik, known as “Doc Fanderlik”, and his wife did not have children. Stanislava (* March 18, 1914 Dvur Kralove), studied painting in Canada and died March 10, 1980 in Trail, British Columbia (Canada). She was also called Velenka. Fanderliks family originates from Holland – the name was written “Van der Lijk”.
Source: most information from the Museum of Vancouver and http://encyklopedie.brna.cz).
 
 
48 Dr O. Riegl (Z Knih Dra. O. Riegla). 1930.

I 
State 10 x 8 cm. 
II State 9,5 x 6,5 cm.
Woodcut, Novak 586.

A bookplate for Dr. O. Riegl.



II State
 
 
49 T.F. Šimon. 1932.

10,8 x 7,7 cm, etching, astrial in brown, Novak 587.


 
 
50
Ex Libris without text (Ex Libris bez textu).

Girl with roses at the table (Dívka s růží u stolu).


Etching, BBB 3720, Novak 588.

 
No picture of the Ex-libris
 



Bookplates
:
since the 15th century, distinguished artists and their patrons have given serious attention to this art form. It represents a miniature art developed to adorn books and a convenient, individualized way for the book’s owner to be identified. The bookplate or ex libris, is a label placed on the inside of the front cover of a book, bearing its owners name and a sign of personal identification. The words ex libris on a book-plate translate roughly from the Latin as "from the books of" or "from the library of". Many techniques and mediums are used in creation of book-plates. Some include the woodcut, engraving on metal, silkscreen, etching or pen and ink. This, along with the fact that the work is all done in small scale, plays an important part in the execution of these works. Also, utilizing the finest in papers, with hand printing in many examples. Bookplates have been designed by artists and engravers such as Albrecht Dürer, Thomas Bewick, Paul Revere, Kate Greenaway, Aubrey Beardsley, Marc Chagall, M.C. Escher,
 František Šimon, Rockwell Kent, Leonard Baskin, Barry Moser, and others.
Ex libris enthusiasts have created an international network for the purposes of attaining designs by establishing societies in forty-one countries. Every two years an International Ex Libris Congress is held in a different country inviting members of the world bookplate societies to attend. Under the auspices of the Federation International des Societé's d’Amateurs d’Ex Libris (FISAE) one enjoys lectures, slide presentations, exhibitions and sufficient time is allowed for socializing and trading book-plates. In USA is
The American Society of Bookplate Collectors and Designers.  

Czech Bookplates: the modern Czech book-plate-making started around the year 1868, with the oldest book-plate for  Knight Vojtěch Lanna by Josef Manes. Among the Czech book-plate makers belonged great Czech artists such as Alfons Mucha, Max Švabinský, Vojtěch Preissig,Tavik
František Šimon, Hugo Boettinger and Mikoláš Aleš. An article in the Moderni Revue magazin of 1897 by the poet and  first collector of bookplates, S. K. Neumann is considered to be the first trace of the organized bookplate-collecting. Since then, the great interest in book markings and collecting them, has continued. Bedřich Beneš Buchlovan informs us of as many as five thousand Czech book-plates as early as in 1926. With the time going, the book-plates changed their characteristics and from the book markings of an owner of a book, it had been transformed into a collector`s object of interest. Even contemporary artists have nourished the tradition of the book-plate, for example E. Haskova, M. Houra, J. Liesler, Pavel Šimon, J. Pileček, and K. Beneš. The Association of Collectors and Friends of Bookplate (Spolek Sbęratelu a Přátel Exlibris - SSPE) founded in 1918 has contributed greatly to the promotion of book-plates and of bookplate collecting. The Association issues a magazine quarterly called The Book Marking (Knizni Znacka).

 


Announcement of the publication of the Catalogue, 1932.


T.F. Šimon: "Ex libris", drawing in ink and aquarelle.



T.F. Šimon: "Ex libris".







February 2015


www.tfsimon.com